- • We have a 6 week build season to design, prototype, build, program, test, wire, and fix a robot to play a game.
- • During the 6 weeks, students redesign and adapt to any and all problems that arise
- • While many FIRST Robotics Teams are mentor-led, ours is entirely student-run, so students gain leadership and communication skills in addition to technical skills
- • Students gain valuable experience and knowledge from professional mentors who volunteer their time to guide students
- • Our committed team members put in over 370 hours of work throughout the year, mostly concentrated in the 6 week build season.
- Our team not only trains engineers, but also business managers, accountants, deadline managers, and fundraisers
- Students are forced to practice interdisciplinary communication to ensure the success of the team.
- We work with other school clubs like the Future Business Leaders of America and the Art Honor Society
- Community Service: We mentor younger students to foster a love for STEAMWorks (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) early to build future engineers
- We helped start and mentor 9 FIRST Lego League teams at Gorman Crossing Elementary School
- We mentor several FIRST Lego League teams at Patuxent Valley Middle School
- We bring our robot to various demonstrations (like an elementary school technology fair) to spread STEAM
Benefits of Our Team
- • Alumni of the team leave with experience working in and leading a multi-faceted enterprise and have gained the communication, teamwork, leadership, and technical skills that go with it.
- • The robotics team is an ever-growing entity; expanding from 10 members in our first year to over 30 now, 5 years later
- • We work with other school clubs like the Future Business Leaders of America and the Art Honor Society
- • Students:
- - Gain hands-on experience, with the guidance of mentors
- - Grow and learn from failures in a low-risk environment
- - Learn to work with tools and equipment
- - Learn the design process
- - Work and build within a strict deadline
This Year's Competition